Morning Motivator – What’s the Worst That Can Happen?

"If your life is free of failures, you're not taking enough risks."
-H. Jackson Brown, Jr., "A Father's Book of Wisdom"

Scenario: I am 25 years old and walk into the office of the Senior Vice President of SunTrust Mortgage to share a discussion with him the success I have just had in being AWARDED Rookie of the Year. He sits me down and says, "I am very proud of you. I know you have WORKED hard and spent a lot of time learning this system. What will you do next?" I replied, "I GUESS, just keeping doing it." His next statement was PROFOUND – "Zach, have you ever FAILED at anything?" I never have. He continues, "I know you have something SPECIAL in you and I BELIEVE that when you begin to take the RISK of failing, you will find that you have it too." Scary…

Zoom ahead… I am 30 years old. Have I FAILED yet? Nope. Have I REALLY tried anything that I could fail at? Nope.

I am someone that has always PRIDED myself on the fact that I have ALWAYS succeeded at what I do. I have never FAILED at anything I wanted to ACHIEVE. I am also starting to REALIZE that maybe my goals have just been too LOW and EASY. How can have pride in the fact that they NEVER push themselves to the point that they can be HURT or FAIL? If you do push yourself to that point… what is the WORST that can happen?

2 DEGREE SUCCESS STEP:

I read an interesting thought in one of my favorite books, The Four Hour Work Week by Tim Ferriss (highly suggested). He asked, "What is the WORST that could happen as a result of taking a major risk?" He doesn't mean jumping off bridges or robbing banks, rather starting a business or asking someone for a date. Seriously… what is the WORST thing? I did my best to find something HORRIBLE and here is what I came up with:
- I might look SILLY
- I might go BANKRUPT
- I might make a BAD DECISION
- I might LOSE my house
- I might TARNISH my good reputation

In looking at these "MIGHTS" (meaning they may never even happen), I also realized this:
- I might look BRILLIANT
- I might make a TON of money
- I might make the BEST decision of my life
- I might be able to buy a BEACH HOUSE
- I might create my LEGACY

Now, you tell me… Is it a BIGGER risk in NOT taking action or having to live with the thought that you MIGHT have missed out on the best opportunity of your life? Everything can be REVERSED… except the TIME you waste "waiting" to take action!

Cheers,
Zach

*To enjoy past editions of the Morning Motivator go to – http://grow-learn-lead.blogspot.com


The Morning Motivator is a copyrighted publication. The use of this article is open for print or publication with proper citations.

No comments:

:: past morning motivators ::