Morning Motivator – KILL ALL Multi-Tasking!

"It is impossible to multi-task.  Rather, we are quickly task adjusting."
- Unknown Source comment from "Crackberry'd" on CNBC

I like to tell the story about how my in-laws HATE my voicemail.  If you have not heard it, it goes something like, "Thank you for your call.  To service you more effectively and efficiently, I return voicemails at 11:15am and 4:15pm…"  WHY would anyone be so dismissive of potential callers?

For me, it is about FOCUS. 

I am the first to admit that I have the intelligence of an adult and the ATTENTION span of a four year old.  I UNDERSTAND what people think and want, however, I just cannot accomplish five tasks at one time.  I have to CHOOSE one and focus my way through it.  Usually, I am able to complete the task very quickly, without errors!

2 DEGREE SUCCESS STEP:
The thing about MULTI-TASKING is that it does NOT do what you want it to! 

You EXPECT to complete more, which you often spend more time collectively on all tasks than prioritizing and executing based on that prioritization.  You EXPECT to execute QUALITY work, because you are a well-educated professional, and yet, studies PROVE that multi-tasked work is SLOPPIER with oft-egregious errors throughout.

So what should you do?  KILL MULTI-TASKING!  Eliminate it entirely from your vocabulary. 

Just think if you were able to confidently tell a client that when you work on THEIR needs, that is the ONLY thing you will be working on.  No emails, no voicemails, no IMs, no chats with co-workers, just flat out FOCUS.  What kind of IMPRESSION do you think your client will receive?

I will leave your voicemail options up to you…

Cheers,
Zach

*To enjoy past editions of the Morning Motivator go to – http://grow-learn-lead.blogspot.com

The Morning Motivator is a copyrighted publication. The use of this article is open for print or publication with proper citations.

No comments:

:: past morning motivators ::