Morning Motivator – Don’t Tech Yourself Out of a Relationship

"The great paradox of the 21st century is that, in this age of powerful technology, the biggest problems we face internationally are problems of the human soul."
-Ralph Peters

First, I want to send my well wishes to Aaron Raines in New Orleans. He had a minor surgery this morning and a few extra prayers never hurt. Now back to your regularly scheduled Morning Motivator…

I like this title today mostly because I am a BlackBerry "crack-head." I am THAT guy you hear about with his BlackBerry in a restaurant, on a date, in a movie, during meetings, etc. I do JUSTIFY my use by the fact that its typically in an effort to FURTHER a relationship by setting next steps and action items to be completed (sounds romantic for dating, huh?).

I specifically want to share this concept for 2 reasons: 1. In a discussion I had Wednesday, we chatted about LOSING touch with the human element through technology and how it can CRIPPLE your business; 2. I have allowed my BlackBerry to literally RUIN a relationship with a special girl long ago (lesson learned!) The consideration here is: "at what point do you have to 'buck up' and do it the 'old fashioned' way?" Here's a good example.

I have a friend that met a nice gentleman a few weeks back. He's one of those guys that guys hate because he SEEMS to have it all – good looks, athletic, successful, Vandy graduate, etc. Interestingly, she has lost some interest in him very QUICKLY. WHY? What girl doesn't want the GAP model that's on the fast track to SUCCESS? Answer: He won't call her! Seriously, he won't call her… (and she's a hottie herself). Rather than call, he send text messages – quick, efficient, simple, yadda yadda yadda. What she sees is – arrogant, cowardly, insensitive. If "Mr. EVERYTHING" would just call the girl, he would win the day… instead, he is so DISCONNECTED with the human element and the SENSITIVITY of this girl, he will likely miss the boat. Sucks to be him. So where do we draw the line..?

2 DEGREE SUCCESS STEP:
Here's the deal. I'm going to give you a quick "to do/not to do" of technology in scenario form…

When to CALL:
1. Scheduling an appointment
2. Running late to meet someone
3. Breaking up with your girlfriend/boyfriend
4. Rescheduling with less than 12 hours until meeting

When to TEXT/EMAIL:
1. Rescheduling an appointment more than 24 hours out
2. Reminders to meet or to perform tasks
3. Changing small details to a project
4. Breaking up with a psycho girlfriend/boyfriend

Feel free to share your list of "EMAIL vs. CALLS" as well. I wish you all a wonderful weekend… Call me, er, text me, er, whatever if you need me.

Cheers,
Zach

*To enjoy past editions of the Morning Motivator go to – http://grow-learn-lead.blogspot.com


The Morning Motivator is a copyrighted publication. The use of this article is open for print or publication with proper citations.

No comments:

:: past morning motivators ::