Morning Motivator – You Know What You Get When You Assume…

"The assumption that seeing is believing makes us susceptible to visual deceptions"
- Kathleen Hall Jamieson

Admittedly, I use the Morning Motivator as a teaching platform to others about the GROWTH and MISHAPS I experience daily. I would even say I use it for a personal THERAPY of sorts. Today, I want to speak about ASSUMING…

We have all heard the phrase, "When you ASSUME, you make an … blah blah blah." Last night, I made an assumption that started a QUARREL with someone very close to me. I ASSUMED I knew their intentions prior to even giving them a chance to let me down. As I ANALYZED the situation in my head this morning, I began to think about how many times I have been the CAUSE of challenges in my own life, simply because I ASSUMED the worst of someone.

I have DISCOVERED that most of us have a NEGATIVE mentality towards the world. We call people who are OPTIMISTIC "unrealistic" and people who always speak of "Doom and Gloom" as "realists." Consider this – in PROVEN studies, near 90% of an individuals' negative thought processes NEVER were realized. This means only 10% of what they ASSUMED would happen, actually did. With that in mind, wouldn't you consider someone who is OPTIMISTIC to be more REALISTIC too?

2 DEGREE SUCCESS STEP:
The challenge with being ASSUMPTIVE is the underlying belief that we are always CORRECT in our thought processes. How arrogant! For us to BELIEVE we will always be correct is borderline insanity if you ask me. Secondarily, you are also under the belief that somehow you have CONTROL over that others person's actions, such that you KNOW what they will do before the even take an initial action.

Give people a CHANCE to prove you RIGHT. If they make a mistake, don't chastise them for it… COMMUNICATE with them about your feelings and expectations. Give them INSIGHT into your needs and thoughts processes. Lastly, SHOULD you assume the worst of them and be proven wrong – show your CLASS and apologize. It takes a strong person to give up control and a stronger person to admit when they made the wrong ASSUMPTIONS…

Cheers,
Zach

*To enjoy past editions of the Morning Motivator go to – http://grow-learn-lead.blogspot.com


The Morning Motivator is a copyrighted publication. The use of this article is open for print or publication with proper citations.

No comments:

:: past morning motivators ::