Morning Motivator - Your Boss Should Make Less Than You

"Leadership is the desire to promote growth in others in spite of one's own insecurities."
- B. Gavrailoff

In business, you find very INTERESTING scenarios. One of my favorite is the common EGO battle you see amongst LEADERS and EXECUTORS. This is the "WORKING" relationship between the people who DO the work and the people who drive the STRATEGY.

I have been around selling basically since I graduated college in 2000. I have heard many stories from my FRIENDS and COLLEAGUES about their past experiences. The one that sticks out most is the idea of a manager being UPSET that their employees make more money than they do.

In sales, the SPOILS go to the person that does the work. You find the OPPORTUNITY, you DEVELOP the relationship and EXECUTE the agreements. You did all the work, yet, many Sales Managers can become upset when they have a TOP PERFORMER that executes so effectively that their compensation EXCEEDS that of the leadership. Commonly, an EXCELLENT sales rep can be the HIGHEST paid employee of an organization, even over the CEO.

2 DEGREE SUCCESS STEP:
Understand that as a MANAGER, if you are doing an EXCELLENT job - your people should outperform you. Your team should be compensated well for the work they do and you should take great PRIDE in the fact that you have DEVELOPED such a great environment that people are able to ACHIEVE at such high levels.

I have not yet had my RIGHTFUL shake at management (one day I will) and when I do, be ASSURED that my primary goal is to see that my team's compensations/rewards/incomes/etc far EXCEED mine as a result of their excellent EXECUTION. I have always BELIEVED that the true value of a manager is their ABILITY and WILLINGNESS to side their personal EGO for the greater development of their team!

INSPIRE and SUPPORT your team - you will find your DREAMS will come true too!

Cheers,
Zach

*To enjoy past editions of the Morning Motivator go to – http://grow-learn-lead.blogspot.com


The Morning Motivator is a copyrighted publication. The use of this article is open for print or publication with proper citations.

No comments:

:: past morning motivators ::