Morning Motivator – A Listening Lesson

"A good listener tries to understand thoroughly what the other person is saying. In the end he may disagree sharply, but before he disagrees, he wants to know exactly what it is he is disagreeing with."
-Kenneth A. Wells, Guide to Good Leadership

This morning I "re-REALIZED" one of my areas for improvement in my personal development. I am not a PATIENT listener. It is not that I DON'T listen, or am not a GOOD listener… it is that I often do not allow enough SPACE for the other person to insert their comments for me to listen too!

My FAULT is my passion for sharing information. While potentially an ADMIRABLE quality, it must be CONTROLLED so as not to always be the driver of discussion. I tend to be very DOMINATE in most of my chats. Why? Often it's driven out of FEAR and INSECURITY… Sounds crazy huh? Think about it.

How many people tend to RAMBLE when they speak to groups? How often have you noticed that someone is NOT comfortable with silence in a discussion? It happens more COMMONLY than you might believe. For me, it's a CONSTANT battle to make feel as though I am delivering an entertaining, informative and valuable discussion. I am CONFIDENT that the other person is able to do the same… however; I can CONTROL my actions and ensure the continuation of the discussion.

2 DEGREE SUCCESS STEP:

The CONCERN in a behavior encompassing a "dominate discussion pattern" is that IF (and when) the discussion is NOT riveting… you are sunk!

The ASSUMPTION of the dominate speaker is that what they have to say is very IMPORTANT and INTERESTING. The REALITY is, you will NEVER know unless you shut up and let the other person INTERJECT their thoughts, proving you valuable FEEDBACK.

I know this is a strength that must be DEVELOPED further… in the meantime, my best advice, "shut you DANG mouth and let the other person give you a chance to catch your breath!" :)

Have a WONDERFULLY RELAXING weekend!

Cheers,
Zach

*To enjoy past editions of the Morning Motivator go to – http://grow-learn-lead.blogspot.com


The Morning Motivator is a copyrighted publication. The use of this article is open for print or publication with proper citations.

No comments:

:: past morning motivators ::