Morning Motivator - You Are Being Watched!

"We would like you to come in so we can chat."
- Anonymous

This past week, I was called into the proverbial "Principal's Office" for a comment I made on a public website regarding a group of which I am a member. The comment itself was innocent in nature, however, as an emerging leader in a new community, I found that I was being watched a little closer than I thought.

Without going into great detail, I made a comment regarding my thoughts of endorsing political candidates from a membership based organization. Little did I know, that membership organization was watching...or at least found it.

Oops! They felt slighted. Not that I spoke my mind and it did not agree with them. More that I went off the reservation without coming to them first to voice my opinion. Hmmm....

2 DEGREE SUCCESS STEP: I did learn that this group and I agree on the function of the group, as well as the reasoning behind their drive to endorse candidates. For the RECORD, I am regretful and apologetic for not going to my group to inquire about the "why."

The lesson that I learned is that, as leaders in our communities, there are a great number of people watching what we say and what we do. It is our job, not to act scared, but to stay informed. It is out responsibility to the people we serve to be educated in all matters we speak upon. Additionally, it is the duty of organizational leaders to meet, discuss and create relationships such that we continually are educating and improving one another.

Should you censor yourself from speaking your mind? NEVER. Should you hesitate if you are in disagreement with policies or opinions? OF COURSE NOT. We must stand strong in our beliefs, yet be wise to understand we must continually learn, listen and then discuss to be exceptional leaders.

Cheers,

Zach

*To enjoy past editions of the Morning Motivator go to – http://grow-learn-lead.blogspot.com

The Morning Motivator is a copyrighted publication. The use of this article is open for print or publication with proper citations

No comments:

:: past morning motivators ::