Morning Motivator – Listen Up…

"A good listener tries to understand thoroughly what the other person is saying. In the end he may disagree sharply, but before he disagrees, he wants to know exactly what it is he is disagreeing with."
-Kenneth A. Wells, Guide to Good Leadership

Last night, I was able to enjoy 2 experiences I found to be very different and yet very IMPACTFUL upon my thought process. First, I was invited to sit in on a Board meeting for an emerging leadership program and asked to provide INSIGHT into the recruitment and marketing aspect of the groups DEVELOPMENT. Secondly, I was invited to join a good friend, Sarah Rochford, at a CHARITABLE dinner benefitting a local foundation that support literacy and education for youth.

From the Board perspective, I was not REQUIRED to participate and frankly, did even have to show up. I was not obligated nor am I even assigned to any area, HOWEVER, this is a program that I went through two years ago and ENJOYED very much. As I sat with the group of most recent alumni (the new Board of Directors), they discussed back and forth the VALUES of the group and the NEEDS for success in the future. Amazingly, what I did see was a FUNCTIONAL group of excellent LISTENERS. Each person listened, digested and retorted directly on the subject at hand. There was no side discussion, nor WASTED effort on subject that don't matter. Very impressive.

As for my charitable efforts, I was able to enjoy a nice dinner with friends and SUPPORT someone that has always supported me in my efforts. As dinner ended, after many enjoyable discussions, Sarah and I continued to chat outside for a few minutes. Again, I found myself in the presence of someone that LISTENS so effectively, I found myself in AWE. I wondered then, how well do I LISTEN? Am I EFFECTIVE in the ways I communicate through UNDERSTANDING what others are saying or asking? Am I as collectively effective as the Board or as individually impressive as Sarah? And most critically… What could I ACHIEVE if I were able to master that trait?

2 DEGREE SUCCESS STEP:
Great listening is not a trait I would be inclined to give advice on, so I will yield in this sense to a resource I have discovered from Tom D. Lewis and Gerald Graham at findarticles.com; the 7 Tips for Effective Listening.

1. Concentrate on what others are saying
2. Send the non verbal messages that you are listening
3. Avoid early evaluations
4. Avoid getting defensive
5. Practice paraphrasing
6. Listen (and observe) for feelings
7. Ask Questions

Now the REAL lesson – next time someone is speaking with you, don't wait for YOUR TURN to talk… listen, think and then (if appropriate and poignant) speak. (and yes, I am looking in the mirror when I say this).

Cheers,
Zach

*To enjoy past editions of the Morning Motivator go to – http://grow-learn-lead.blogspot.com


The Morning Motivator is a copyrighted publication. The use of this article is open for print or publication with proper citations.

No comments:

:: past morning motivators ::