Morning Motivator – Who Is Shaping Your Future?

"Mentor: Someone whose hindsight can become your foresight"
-Unknown

American Idol. Professional sports. Politicians. Teachers. All may be noted as a "mentor." Who is YOUR mentor? Do you even UNDERSTAND the value of a mentor?

As a Young Professional and a leader in my local community, I have found the value of MENTORSHIP at an early age. I have LEARNED that the above quote is the true "short track" to success. Most interesting is how many "established" professionals are EXCITED to mentor someone – regardless of age. Let me explain the value I have found in a MENTOR…

For me, the GREATEST challenges I face typically come down to a struggle between my head and my heart. It's a DECISION about what is "right" and what is "right for my people" (not always the same thing). By having access to a mentor, I am able to LEVERAGE their experiences and expertise in similar situations. This relationship allows for LEARNING and OBJECTIVITY without having to "go through it" to understand it. By having someone that you can look to for GUIDANCE, you are better able to lead and execute from your leadership role.

2 DEGREE SUCCESS STEP:
When seeking mentorship, you want to be mindful of a few critical QUALIFIERS:

1. Does this person have EXCEPTIONAL character?
2. Is this person an EXPERT in their field?
3. Do they have VALUES you share and respect?
4. Are they "SUCCESSFUL" per YOUR definition of success?
5. Are they accessible?
6. Are YOU willing to make the appropriate SACRIFICES (time, money, effort) in order to earn the right to be mentored?
7. Are you COMFORTABLE to ask for mentorship from that person?
8. What the HECK are you waiting for..? Go ASK them!

Having a mentor is a GREAT advantage. When you have someone that you are able to look to, speak to and be challenged by… you have put your DEVELOPMENT into hyper-drive.

Special thanks to my unknowing mentor, Sonny. You have inspired today's Morning Motivator. When I grow up… I want to be just like you.

Cheers,
Zach

*To enjoy past editions of the Morning Motivator go to – http://grow-learn-lead.blogspot.com


The Morning Motivator is a copyrighted publication. The use of this article is open for print or publication with proper citations.

No comments:

:: past morning motivators ::