Morning Motivator – Are We Really Friends?

"Don't take it personal, just take it."
- Sgt. Paul Wells 101st Airborne Div. (AASLT)

As many of you may know, I am a very EMOTIONALLY charged person while sometimes mixing my head with my heart. Additionally, you may know that I am a HUGE fan of the movie, Jerry Maguire.

I have been mentally reviewing some actions this week and I was reminded of my FAVORITE dialogue in the movie, Jerry Maguire, between Jerry and Rod. This is the part where they "drop the gloves" and finally say what they really want to. I share with you the below…

Jerry: Are we Really Friends?

Rod: I think so.

Jerry: Because friends can tell each other anything if we have our friends hats on… I'll tell you why you don't have your $10 million yet. Right now you are a paycheck player. You play with your head, not your heart. In your personal life – heart! But when you get on the field it's all about what you didn't get, who's to blame, who under threw the pass, who's got the contract you don't, who's not giving you your love and you know what… that's not what inspires people. That is NOT what inspires people! Just shut up… and play the game. Play it from your heart… and you know what? I will show you the Kwan. And that's the truth man… That's the truth! Can you handle it? Just a question between friends? Ya know?!

(Dialogue skipped)

Rod: No heart? No heart?! I'M ALL HEART MOTHER*&^%$!

Expletive aside, I found this to be a very INTERESTING view into the lives of most people… including my own. How often do we give our WHOLE self to a spouse, a charity or a hobby? How often do we have that same passion for our work? What could we accomplish if we were not PAYCHECK players? What if we approached work with the same passion and commitment as we do the other areas of our life?

2 DEGREE SUCCESS STEP:
For 1 week, try LETTING GO of your over analytical self. Stop THINKING about what needs to be done… and just start doing it. Forget about the RED TAPE RULES and just get the results (within the law of course).

Try speaking to a colleague like you would a friend… a prospective client as relative at a wedding…the mail room guy as the most important member of your team. Try approaching your work life with YOUR HEART, including all the associated passions found in your other life areas.

You do this… and I will show you the KWAN!

Cheers,
Zach

*To enjoy past editions of the Morning Motivator go to – http://grow-learn-lead.blogspot.com


The Morning Motivator is a copyrighted publication. The use of this article is open for print or publication with proper citations.

No comments:

:: past morning motivators ::