Morning Motivator - Finding Purpose

"Find something to believe in and the work becomes easier."
- Unknown

I want to thank my new FRIEND and trusted LEADER, Durham Pettigrew of Avenue Bank in Nashville, TN for sharing this morning's "Morning Motivator" with me.

I have this reoccurring dream where I'm looking for this secret passageway to get me to this secret island where the destination gives you a euphoric feeling but most importantly a sense of accomplishment (I promise I wasn't high when I had this dream). The passageway is either a tunnel you have to swim through/under or finding a secret trailhead. The crazy part about it is that I'm not too concerned with what's on the other side, but more concerned with the actual path and how to get there. I wake up and have butterflies in my stomach and am just dying to find the "secret" path.

I think this came from one of two things. When I was around 11 years old I read "The Black Pearl" and from what I recall the main character has to swim very far to get to a secret cave where the black pearl may or may not be. He has to hold his breath for at least a minute and swim through a secret tunnel to get there. The dream could also be from when I was making my plans to move to Wyoming for the summer (after my junior year of college). This was my first true experience with independence (lived off of my own $, worked, played etc. and did not need parental units at all). It was also something that I didn't know I was capable of. I can still remember the way I felt when I was writing out the different routes I could take to get there and it didn't matter which way I went, it was going to be great.

So, what do I take from this? I think that finding the path and taking the path is the "fun stuff", as you put it. Whenever I recall the dream or whenever I'm lucky enough to actually have it again, I do a check on where I am and what I'm doing. I know that I have many adventures all at once but I still pay attention to what the next one will be whether it's planning a trip or trying a new restaurant. The one thing that I'm certain of is that despite the curve balls, doubt etc., I am still able to have a great time on my adventures. I also know that I love to think about this dream.

THANKS DURHAM!!

Cheers,
Zach

*To enjoy past editions of the Morning Motivator go to – http://grow-learn-lead.blogspot.com


The Morning Motivator is a copyrighted publication. The use of this article is open for print or publication with proper citations.

No comments:

:: past morning motivators ::