Morning Motivator – A BEST Way to LOSE a Client

"It is not enough to give the customer excellent service. You must subtly make him aware of the great service he is getting."
- Unknown

I have a GREAT story for those of you that are interested in how NOT to run a business…

Last night, I called Comcast cable in an EFFORT to purchase internet and cable services. I was EXCITED as I dreamed of FAST download speeds, the NFL channel and LSU Tiger football on Saturday from my living room. I had the credit card ready to SPEND my money… BUT…

On the first ATTEMPTED call, I waited on hold for 5 minutes (statistics show that most people hang up after 60 seconds). After hearing how VALUABLE I was as a client, I was informed by the automated service that no one was available to help… then… the best part!!! And I quote, "we appreciate your call. Thank you. Good bye."

WHAT THE HELL!?!?

Long story short, I called back again, with a SIMILAR experience. On my third attempt, I was asked if I would participate in a client SATISFACTION survey post call. OF COURSE!!

After waiting 3-4 minutes, I was greeted by Curtis. He was POLITE, UNDERSTANDING and EFFICIENT. That was a GREAT experience. Frankly, he did such a good job that he SAVED the opportunity.

Once we hung up, customer service called back. I SHARED my feelings with them regarding their choice of a BEST way to lose a client via hanging up on them and providing NO OPTIONS to engage or get a call back.

2 DEGREE SUCCESS STEP:
There are SIMPLE solutions for HELPING clients purchase your services.

1. Give them the opportunity to purchase without your involvement.
2. Give them options on how to communicate or be communicated with.
3. Provide time frames for return communications immediately (even if approximated)
4. Accept the common (and some uncommon) forms of payment.

Ultimately, make it EASY to buy. EASY to engage. EASY to follow up.

If you are able to do those things… the business will be EASY to keep. Otherwise, you might just LOSE the client you NEVER had.

Cheers,
Zach

*To enjoy past editions of the Morning Motivator go to – http://grow-learn-lead.blogspot.com


The Morning Motivator is a copyrighted publication. The use of this article is open for print or publication with proper citations.

No comments:

:: past morning motivators ::