Morning Motivator - Are You Defining Your Purpose?

"One person can make a difference and every person should try."
- John Fitzgerald Kennedy

WHY do you do what you do? Have you ever really stopped to THINK about it? Other than "make money," what is the PURPOSE of your actions?

Currently, I have TWO mid-life crises behind me and hope not to run into anymore for a long time (not bad for 31 years old). What happened along the way? For me, I was fortunate to find early FINANCIAL success and found it to be fruitless. I was also blessed to find SOCIAL success, while still not understanding WHAT I was supposed "to do" with it...

Personally, I am not CONVINCED that our purpose is to "own powerful businesses, save the children, or help people make money." I am CONFIDENT that we are all supposed to be doing something much bigger, much more PURPOSEFUL... and still I don't know what that is.

2 DEGREE SUCCESS STEP:
The human EGO is very good at "rationalizing" our actions by placing a value of worth on the results. Hence, beliefs of since I make a bunch of money "I am making a DIFFERENCE" or because I work for a non-profit "I am a social CHANGE MAKER." And still we ask WHY? What is the PURPOSE??

All these rationalizations and actions are INWARD focused, a self validation of our actions. We are not CONCERNED with the betterment of others (think about how you treat people that are trying to teach you about new services).

Are we truly focused on the IMPACT of our work? Or it is truly a spinning wheel with the occasional PURE ENJOYMENT of an exploratory trip, or a book in the park on a warm Saturday?

If you HAD to CHANGE the world... what would you do? THIS may be the most IMPORTANT of all questions you ask today.

Cheers,
Zach

*To enjoy past editions of the Morning Motivator go to – http://grow-learn-lead.blogspot.com


The Morning Motivator is a copyrighted publication. The use of this article is open for print or publication with proper citations.

No comments:

:: past morning motivators ::