Morning Motivator – The Sword Fishing Business

"There are two types of fisherman – those that fish for sport and those that fish for fish."
- Unknown

This morning, I ENJOYED a challenging discussion with a new strategic partner and mentor, Mr. Larry Oliphant.  Larry and I had a chat about FOCUS and becoming an EXPERT as part of our development planning.  He CHALLENGED me to define my SPECIFIC area of focus and expertise… WHOA!  (It is not quite as easy as you think.)

He made mention of the concept of FISHING.  A YOUNG angler may be more willing to bait many hooks and thrown many lines in, waiting for one to hit more often than others.  The WISE angler is more likely to test his rods, reels, bait, tackle and spots… then fish CONSISTENTLY in the same manner.

This may me WONDER – am I a fisher working my lake of contacts?  ALTERNATIVELY, am I a sword fisher, baiting a 50-mile line with multiple hooks all across the ocean, HOPING something will bite?

2 DEGREE SUCCESS STEP:
I don't have a BEST ANSWER for you all yet.  I will spend the next few days considering which I am… and hope you will too.

Ask:  Am I SPECIALIZED in my trade?  Do I have a NICHE market that I am pursuing?  Do the GROUPS I chase have a very specific makeup?

OR…

Am I chasing the LATEST trend?  Do I continually chase the hottest areas?  Am I changing focus month to month HOPING I find something that sticks?

Being a fisher who KNOWS his craft and pushes his productivity sounds GREAT… Maybe we can do that with a 50-Mile line too!  J

Cheers,

Zach

*To enjoy past editions of the Morning Motivator go to – http://grow-learn-lead.blogspot.com

The Morning Motivator is a copyrighted publication The use of this article is open for print or publication with proper citations.

No comments:

:: past morning motivators ::