Morning Motivator – What is in a Title?

"That is what the title of artist means: one who perceives more than his fellows, and who records more than he has seen."
- Edward Gordon Craig

What is YOUR title?  What does it mean?  Not to you, rather to your clients and future clients!

Titles are traditionally MEANINGLESS in business.  They are more about INTERNAL hierarchy than execution of business practices.

How many people do you know that are an ACCOUNT EXECUTIVE, yet have no executive authority?  How many people are PRESIDENT of a small business, yet they take all the service calls, do all the sales, etc?  How many SECRETARIES/ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANTS do all the heavy lifting of reporting, relationship management or more?

Maybe it is time for you to have a MEANINGFUL title that explains what you DO and how you HELP your clients get things done.

2 DEGREE SUCCESS STEP:
One of my favorite titles is from my friend, Andy Bailey of NationLink Wireless.  His title is Chief Acceleration Officer.  He is the owner/president of the company, but his REAL job is ACCELERATING business action!

I liked Andy's title so much… I made my title Chief Accountability Officer.  Sure, I am the president of my company, but what my clients need to know is that my job is creating and maintaining ACCOUNTABILITY.  All I do is make sure what they asked to get done, gets done and if they have challenges, they get fixed – NO QUESTIONS ASKED!

So what is YOUR title?  Does it MATTER to you?  Your boss?  Your clients?  Frankly, the only person is SHOULD matter to is the client.  If it doesn't, is it really worth using anyways?

Cheers,

Zach

*To enjoy past editions of the Morning Motivator go to – http://grow-learn-lead.blogspot.com

The Morning Motivator is a copyrighted publication The use of this article is open for print or publication with proper citations.

No comments:

:: past morning motivators ::