Morning Motivator – What the DMV Taught Me Today

"Biggest question:  Isn't it really 'customer helping' rather than customer service? And wouldn't you deliver better service if you thought of it that way?"
- Jeffrey Gitomer

Every so often, you get WOW'd in a place you never expected to be.  Let me introduce you to the Louisiana Department of Motor Vehicles.

I have been PUTTING OFF attaining my LA license and plates for near two months now.  The reason is simple - I have limited PATIENCE.  In fact, my wife has FREQUENT discussions with me about how much lower my tolerance is than the rest of the "entire world."

I must admit I was PLEASANTLY surprised when, this morning, I walked into the DMV.  First, there was someone to greet me and answer my "dumb questions" IMMEDIATELY.  Once answered, I was given a number and seated in a very clean, open area.  I waited no more than 10 minutes when Alice, the one who wow'd me, asked me to sit and QUICKLY took care of my needs.  Here is where it gets cool…

I did NOT have the right paper work (like anyone ever does).  Usually you hear, "Get it and come back later.  NEXT!"  Not here though.  Alice WAITED as I quickly called the people needed to get paperwork and MADE me a file to organize it all.

One document will not arrive until tomorrow.  What did she do?  She gave me her DIRECT number and said to call anytime tomorrow (except during lunch because she will not be there to answer).  She noted that once she has the paperwork in hand, she will SCHEDULE a time for me to come right in and see her!!  ARE YOU SERIOUS?!?!

2 DEGREE SUCCESS STEP:
Service is SIMPLE.  Do the LITTLE things that others will not do. 

You do not have to be on call 24 hours.  Just be on call when it matters.  You do not have to be a PUSHOVER.  Just be flexible.

It is AMAZING how much a direct number and a commitment to follow up is really all I needed to be WOW'D.  What can you do to WOW your clients?

Cheers,

Zach

*To enjoy past editions of the Morning Motivator go to – http://grow-learn-lead.blogspot.com

The Morning Motivator is a copyrighted publication.  The use of this article is open for print or publication with proper citations.

No comments:

:: past morning motivators ::