Morning Motivator – Don’t Let Money Cloud Your Judgment

"Sorry, I don't do charity.  If you are paying, call me."
- Anonymous

Boy oh boy, do I have a story today!!  This weekend, I am running a Kickball Tournament as a fundraiser for Big Brothers Big Sisters of Acadiana.  In doing so, we need all the usual things – balls, fields, scoreboards… and UMPIRES.

Being a CHARITY event, I have asked people to VOLUNTEER to assist.  In a call to action from interested parties, I received the above quoted response.  While I am not one do to work that should be PAID for freely, for charity and community, I make EXCEPTIONS. 

What I find most INTERESTING is that the person followed up the email to explain how excited he was to be involved in sports and refereeing future games.  I noted that persons GIVING of their time will receive priority for paying opportunities in the future… and apparently the 3 hours I was asking just didn't make sense.  HMMMM…

2 DEGREE SUCCESS STEP:
Money often CLOUDS our judgment.  It PREVENTS us from seeing a long term gain or a short term benefit. 

What if a real estate company ONLY met with pre-paying clients?  What if you were REQUIRED to pay for ice cream samples in a sweets shoppe?  How many clients do you think each would have?  Or Retain?

Sometime you have to GIVE a little bit of time – freely – in order to experience what you are getting into.  Additionally, by allowing yourself or others to "sample" the service or product, you make it much easier to gain LONG TERM commitment from the user.

Seriously, are 3 hours of your time worth an opportunity to be part of something HUGE?

Cheers,
Zach

*To enjoy past editions of the Morning Motivator go to – http://grow-learn-lead.blogspot.com

The Morning Motivator is a copyrighted publication. The use of this article is open for print or publication with proper citations.

No comments:

:: past morning motivators ::