Morning Motivator – Uh Hello?! Here is My Money!

"Hello.  Am I standing here waiting you to give you my money?"
- Zach Barker, the pissed off version

When you walk into a business, what do you EXPECT to happen?  At a minimum, I EXPECT to be acknowledged as being in the building.  A simple "Hey!  Be right with ya!" will suffice.  Even better may be a "How are you?  Give me just one second and I will get you taken care of."  Yesterday, I had an "experience" that reminded me good businesses can have TERRIBLE customer service.

After walking into a business to give them near $1,000.00 for products they made for me, I stood plainly in the center of the counter space, looking at three (3), yes THREE employees all too busy doing whatever does NOT include taking my money, all of whom NEVER even said "hello."  They just Saturday there typing away on their computers, being much more IMPORTANT than I am (obviously) and far too busy to be disrupted by a "hello" or "be right with you sir."

I guess they were lucky they already finished my order… as I contemplated RUNNING THE OTHER WAY from such terrible service.

2 DEGREE SUCCESS STEP:
Do you know what MOST PEOPLE want in life?  This is not a big, complicated answer.  It is NOT money, flashy cars, big houses, or even powerful companies.  They WANT to be RECOGNIZED… REPEAT... THEY WANT TO BE RECOGNIZED!!

Is it any wonder people cut out newspaper clippings of themselves?  That they TiVo the news anytime they are on it?  Or passionately pursue any and all awards in their industry?  HELL NO!!

People want to be recognized, respected and treated as though they are the MOST IMPORTANT or MOST VALUABLE person around.  HOLY CRAP IS IT THAT HARD TO SAY "HI"?

If you are seeking ways to BETTER your customer service, try with simple things like saying "hello" and introducing yourself as soon as someone walks in (even if you are "with someone" already).  Use their NAME, or at least call them "sir" or "ma'am."  In addition, for God sake, please say THANK YOU when they purchase anything.  I know your momma taught you to be polite… it goes in business too!

"Thank you each, personally, for supporting the Morning Motivator and continuing to develop yourselves as professionals and leaders!  I appreciate your time and attention."  Now how hard was that?! 

Cheers!
Zach (the now vented version)

*To enjoy past editions of the Morning Motivator go to – http://grow-learn-lead.blogspot.com

The Morning Motivator is a copyrighted publication. The use of this article is open for print or publication with proper citations.

No comments:

:: past morning motivators ::