Morning Motivator - Life at a Blur

"Many of lifes beauties are missed at 80mph. Walk through a community to see its real beauty."
- unknown

I overheard a discussion yesterday in which someone made the above comment. They were speaking in reference to driving down the interstate and never seeing some new developments... Of course, I wondered what the REAL message was.

For me, I see that we all live our lives at 80mph. We like FAST food, high internet speeds, BlackBerry® connectivity and act like we NEVER have time for a meeting. We truly are ADDICTS... And our DRUG is work.

Our culture is very INTERESTING to me. We say and do, two VERY different things. We speak of "life balance," but make an excuse to skip seeing a friend. We say HEALTH is critical, yet wont take 1 hour from our 12 hour work day to go to the gym. We tell our family that we LOVE them, then don't see them for weeks.

Its all a bit of a BLUR... And let me ask you, "what have you really gained?"

2 DEGREE SUCCESS STEP:
Admittedly, I AM one of these people. I am in such a rush to get to my SUCCESS that I forget what it actually means.

Here are some of my thoughts on how to slow down... A little:
1. Have a weekly breakfast or lunch with someone to talk (not about business)
2. When you leave the office, leave your briefcase there too.
3. Your BlackBerry® is the best and worst thing you can own. When you are with someone, turn it to silent. If you are with your loved ones, leave it in another room. (Its ok. Trust me, you are not that important to have it 24hrs a day)
4. Take an early afternoon away from work and go to the park. Go walk or even sit, just enjoy the outdoors - its scents, sights and warmth.

If you slow to 20mph, you may be surprised that you still get where you are going... Its just a little more MEMORABLE.

Cheers,
Zach

*To enjoy past editions of the Morning Motivator go to – http://grow-learn-lead.blogspot.com


The Morning Motivator is a copyrighted publication. The use of this article is open for print or publication with proper citations.

No comments:

:: past morning motivators ::