Morning Motivator – Obscurity or Popularity?

"Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever."
-  Napoleon Bonaparte

My good friend and business partner, Philip Steen, made a profound quote to me the other day as I discussed my IMPATIENCE with the rapid speed at which our business is growing.  He said, "I think your biggest problem is, as much as you think people know... they don't."  OUCH!

At first, I was a little taken aback by the comment, then, in quick consideration REALIZED… he is right!  As much as I think I have done a fabulous job of making people aware of our business, its offering and its brand, the REALITY is, I have likely only communicated it properly to 5% of the viable population.  I realized I might be much more OBSCURE than I believe…

What must we do to GENERATE a positive popularity about our self, our business and/or our brand?  How do we get people not only aware of who we are, but also what we do and HOW we do it?  How do we convert our message from NOISE to VALUE?

2 DEGREE SUCCESS STEP:
Initially, I think we must ask the question of whether we want to be GENERALLY popular or LOYALLY popular.  What is the difference?  One has MANY "fans" that engage you somewhat… the other has FEWER "fans" but they are FIERCELY loyal!

Of course, FIERCE sounds much better, but is it?  Does it suit your business?  What if you are a Realtor and your client, that may only buy four houses in a lifetime, is FIERCELY loyal?  Seems being more GENERALLY popular would be the gift here.

What is the answer?  Who KNOWS?!  The idea is that be aware that you are BATTLING obscurity and the METHODOLOGY for overcoming this will be defined by the type of POPULARITY you are seeking. 

We are all OBSCURE in a sense.  So how do you gain YOUR popularity… and in what sense?

Cheers,
Zach

*To enjoy past editions of the Morning Motivator go to – http://grow-learn-lead.blogspot.com

The Morning Motivator is a copyrighted publication. The use of this article is open for print or publication with proper citations.

No comments:

:: past morning motivators ::