Morning Motivator - I Couldn’t Say It Better -Take a Risk!

I have pirated this from a Nashville friend and unknowing mentor, Mr. Greg Goodman of Wells Fargo Mortgage. He is one of the most productive and successful people I know. Follow his blog at: http://greggoodman.typepad.com/my-blog/2011/09/are-you-avoiding-risk.html

Are You Avoiding Risk? I have a new habit these days of listening to books on audio while training for triathlons. For some reason if I listen to music I am still thinking about how much my body hurts and revisit this reoccuring thought every 3 1/2 seconds. But if I listen to books on audio my brain does not process physical pain as frequently. Never the less, I have been listening to Dale Carnegie's Leadership Series and had to pass the following concept of his on to others.

Sidney Dancoff was a leading scientist who often appeared in leading physics journals and scientific publications. About 50 years ago he introduced a concept called the Principle of Maximum Error. This principle was based on biophysics but actually relates very well to our everyday existence. The principle can be stated as follows: Optimum development occurs when an organism makes the maximum number of mistakes consistent with survival.

In other words, mistakes make meaningful contributions to our evolution into the individuals we were meant to be. This implies that risk is essential to success. Without a willingness to take calculated risk, we can never reach our full potential. I ask myself: in what areas of my life am I avoiding risk? Why am I avoiding risk?

The first step to meaningful change: Awareness

2 DEGREE SUCCESS STEP: Awareness is the first step to meaningful change. How can I take a calculated risk in my life or career? Every opportunity worth seizing comes with some risk of failure. If the chances of success outweigh the risk of failure, the opportunity is worth the chance. Is it time to move into a new career? Is it time to buy the house you've had your eye on? Is it time to start that business and stop making excuses? The reason we celebrate success so jubilantly is because the possible failure was avoided in favor of a better outcome.

Helen Keller explained it best: "Security does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."

Take the risk, and trust yourself to achieve your highest vision. What personal and professional risks have you taken (or decided against) that affected your success? - Greg

Cheers,

Zach

*To enjoy past editions of the Morning Motivator go to –http://grow-learn-lead.blogspot.com

The Morning Motivator is a copyrighted publication. The use of this article is open for print or publication with proper citations.

No comments:

:: past morning motivators ::