Morning Motivator - Lets Never Agree

"I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."
- Voltaire

Admittedly, I love politics. Actually, I love the interaction of individuals with different perspectives on what success looks like, how to support it with the people that they lead and then watch them take action towards achieving those goals.

The most credible of these groups is often found amongst an active Board of Directors. With great diversity in age and background, it is the collection of people with a common vision and very different paths for getting there. So, what would the worst possible thing be?

Agreement. Plain, simple, group agreement.

2 DEGREE SUCCESS STEP: Some people hate the idea of confrontation. Others seek to find consensus prior to proposals. Me, I like to throw out the "anti-idea" and see how it changes the discussion. In a sense, I am a trouble maker...

Think of it like this. You spend your time, energy, money and resources on serving with Board of Directors. You get emotionally involved in the success of the group and have a personal investment of reputation riding on its success. If you are putting so much INTO this... why would you just show up, have zero debate or discussion, vote and leave? Frankly, if we do not have a difference in opinion - I DO NOT NEED TO BE THERE!

My belief is that my time and intelligence is EXTREMELY VALUABLE. I also believe they are limited. Thus, if I am going to spend them on something, I want it to be valuable also. Not something that would move in the direction I think is best, whether I was there or not.

Warning: Do not be an a$$hole for the sake of being one. However, make sure if no on else is willing to have the difficult discussion (whether you are for or against it), that YOU start it!

Great leaders are worried when everyone agrees with them.

Cheers,

Zach

*To enjoy past editions of the Morning Motivator go to – http://grow-learn-lead.blogspot.com

The Morning Motivator is a copyrighted publication. The use of this article is open for print or publication with proper citations.

No comments:

:: past morning motivators ::