Morning Motivator – Mice Don’t Work on Sunday?

"Thank you for your call.  You are very important to us.  Call back during our regular business hours."
- Unnamed Extermination Company in Nashville, TN

I love being told how IMPORTANT I am to someone's business as I am being told I cannot be helped.  What a joy!!

I have a tenant in my beloved Nashville home that called me yesterday to note that she has a few MICE that had made their way into the house during the recent cold spell.  She asked for my help in RIDDING them.  I am happy to oblige.

As I called more than TEN (10) local exterminators in the Nashville area, I consistently received a voice message noting my IMPORTANCE to their business, then was promptly asked to call back tomorrow during regular hours.   Is there not an "after-hours" number or something?  On the other hand, does my tenant have the only mice that WORK on Sunday?

2 DEGREE SUCCESS STEP:
My issue is NOT with the fact these businesses are not open to serve my needs.  It is that they express this FALSE EXPRESSION of my importance to their livelihood.  I am so IMPORTANT that I cannot receive services – even emergency options – when I need it.

LOYALTY from service is not made by being available all the time, just the time I need you.  My dentist in Nashville, Dr. Matt Gorham, Jr., earned business not by having a nice office or kind staff, rather by making special after-hour arrangements to refit a broken crown just before my wedding.  WOW!

HONESTY is what matters in business.  If you say you are "always" available – you had better be!  If you tell people, they are the LIFEBLOOD of your business – treat them as if they literally pumped oxygen through your body!

Otherwise, say, "Thank you for your call.  I am unable to speak.  Please leave a message."  At least then, I know that someone OTHER than the mice is SUPPOSED to be off on Sunday.

Cheers,

Zach

*To enjoy past editions of the Morning Motivator go to – http://grow-learn-lead.blogspot.com

The Morning Motivator is a copyrighted publication.  The use of this article is open for print or publication with proper citations.

1 comment:

Grant Gofourth said...

It sounds like we're all in the wrong business! We should start an extermination service! Haha

I agree with you. That's a pet peeve of mine as well! Thanks for the post Zach.

:: past morning motivators ::